Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1h2aDxUXd

November 5, 2012

Collin's Birth story

So here it is, from A to Z....Collin's birth story.
Just a warning, this is a BIRTH story...so if you aren't too keen on "medical" details you may want to stop reading. Although, I will say....a pretty normal story, nothing too crazy.

On October 16th, 2012 my hubby and I were watching the 2nd presidential debate. While Bryan tweeted and texted away like a political pundant I laid on the couch and relaxed and made a status update via fb about getting Collin a Halloween Costume because everyone thought he'd be here (definitely) by the 31st. I was in agreement. However, some people were saying even earlier and I was saying "NO WAY!" Little did I know...

He was working his way on "down" when I was typing those words. Words I would later eat! Almost 12 hours later, in fact.

At about 10 Bryan went to bed.
I of course couldn't sleep and stayed up until about 12:30 am. While I was laying in bed, I all of the sudden had a coughing attack! I wasn't sick, so it was odd....but I couldn't stop.
Of course this caused the 'ole bladder to send me right to the bathroom because there 'ain't no holdin' a 36+ pregnant women's bladder with all that pressure.

I did my business and walked back to bed.
As I was getting into bed, more coughing...this time with fluid leaking. Yep, my water broke!
I didn't think it was my water...just pee. Haha. Again, like in Mady's birth story...I mistook my water breaking for wetting my pants. You'd think I would have learned. This time especially, it was a great deal more water. When the water just kept on coming I knew...."THIS IS MY WATER BREAKING, I'm in labor!"

Now, up until this point I have been having Braxton Hick's contractions like crazy at night. Enough to send me to the hospital one night at 34 weeks. But of course, on this night not a single one! So I was in denial a little bit, that I was in labor....but that water would NOT LET UP....so, it had to be true.

Bryan and I quickly called a friend close by to come sleep in our home with Mady until morning.
We drove to the hospital (without a single back packed {did that with Mady too...you'd think I would have learned here too, nope}) and I was fine. No contractions. Just like with Mady.

We arrived at about 1 am and waiting in Triage until about 4:30 am for a room in L&D. When they checked me I was only 2 cm and he was way up and hadn't dropped at all. We also weren't "top priority" because I wasn't in pain and because I was only technically 36 weeks and some change I had not had my group strep test done. So they had to administer anti-biotics to make sure if I did have it baby would be ok. During which time they wanted to give my body a chance to naturally go into labor.

Well around 7:30 am, in L&D room I had not a single real contraction and they of course then decided to start the pitocin. Same scenario with Mady. It wasn't until about 9:30 did I start feeling some contractions. Then, at about 10:30 I had my epidural. A few hours later, at 12:30 pm. the nurse checked me and I was 7-8 cm! That pitocin does the trick! 

Right after epidural
Getting ready to meet our son!


At about 1:15 I was at 8-9 cm and a -1 position.  I was feeling tons of pressure and knew we were getting closer. About an hour later (2 pm) I was begging to push! The pressure was pretty bad through each contraction. I was in a little bit of pain too, even with my epidural. My nurse was a tad old school and really wanted to make sure I felt the pressure to push so she wouldn't adjust my epidural. I definitely felt it, trust me.

So at 2:15 pm we started pushing. It only took about 4 contractions and Collin was here! Born at 2:27 pm. and on my dad's birthday. Oct. 17th, 2012. Almost 3 weeks early. Some due dates from my ultrasound said I was due Nov. 8th, some said Nov. 12th. The doctor that delivered me said Nov. 8th because he was a healthy 6 lbs, 12 oz. Breathing great and pink as a little baby pig! Hah. Precious from head to toe and so worth it. So this made me 37 weeks.

Skin to skin....best feeling in the world


The grandmothers were there for the delivery

My mom and Collin

Mady meeting her brother for the first time (later that night)

Pop's kissing his 3rd grandson. Collin's middle name is Edward, after Bryan's dad.


Aunt Christy came to visit.

The Meachams swung by too!

Collin Edward, born October 17th, 2012 at 2:27 pm.
He is a good gift from the Lord. We are beyond thankful...especially considering the long painful journey we took to meet him. God is good to give and to take away. Our hearts are filled with joy at the opening and closing of His hand. We trust him with our lives and our children's lives. Great is His faithfulness and great are His works. We praise Him, because Collin is fearfully and wonderfully made. We prayed for him to come and God has surely answered our prayers!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Danielle - Hoped over to your blog and had to say congrats on your beautiful baby boy. I do like the name Collin Edward. This post made me REALLY want to get preggo again, like right now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter