If we are lucky, we may open our bibles everyday. Try to recite scripture from memory in our moments of deep need and frustration. Our prayers become "breath prayers". We may have a stack of great books on the night stand that we have started and left the book mark stationary for several weeks at Chapter 3, until we remember, "Oh yeah, I should start reading that again". We often put off our Bible Reading/ Quiet Time to nap time when we are also faced with the ever present mountain of laundry, meals to be made, toys to pick up and who could forget about the rarity known as a shower! We juggle so much as moms and the never ending distractions of Facebook, Blogging, Hulu and Netflix almost always win our affections in the precious little free "alone" time that we do have. We all struggle with this battle. Myself included.
One of the most important "balls" in this juggling act is fulfilling our God given role as mother, to educate our children in the knowledge of the Lord. To be burdened for their hearts as unbelievers. To desperately try, in every way to lovingly show them they are sinners who are in need of Christ and salvation...just as much as we have a deep need, as a Believer to be filled with God's truth found in His Word.
Connecting these two great needs is my mission. There must still be alone time with Lord in His Word. Reading good books are great too. I need to learn that if it takes me a year to read one 200 paged book than so be it. That is ok. There is no time line on how and when you seek to learn more and walk in sanctification. Its a lifelong pursuit.
My goal is to also redeem the time with my toddler. Mady is a quick study and loves to read books. Ever since she has been little we have read scripture to her and prayed for her, but because of the uniqueness that is Mady I feel like it is time to be more interactive in our Bible time together. I have no set of expectations and am even aware that this is a little over her head at this point....but hearing God's Word and praying is always a good thing to do.
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
Proverbs 22:6
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
Deutoronomy 6:5-7
Here is a glimpse into my desire to lead my daughter in joint Bible time.
I pick out a small scripture text. I read it aloud. I explain it to her (even if she has no clue what I am saying....this is just good practice). I try to use words she knows. I repeat those words and ask her to repeat them back to me. I pray for her and we're done. It only took us 10 minutes the first time we did it. I know this time will look differently each day and depending on her age.
Sometimes I will write out what the text means. She likes to recognize letters (even though all letters are usually "B" or "A"). This is a great tool to pull out when our Bible time together increases in length and she can actually read. More than likely, I will have another little one at this time and already having some tools to use will be a great help.
This is also great for me to see and apply to my heart. Gods word is a double edge sword, it brings both life and death....it is powerful and does not return void. No matter how elementary we break it down, it is FOOD for our soul, and hopefully Words of LIFE for our children.
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12
Here is Mady practicing Contentment.
Its a hard one.
I look this way too sometimes, Mady Girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment