In the midst of the healthcare bill and the impending federal tax payer dollars that may or (may not) be going toward abortion it has me thinking.
Thinking about how absolutely horrific abortion is.
As a prelude:
My thoughts on this issue are nothing new. Wise Solomon said, "there is nothing new under the sun" and he is right.
I also do not wish to offend those who may have allowed this act to take place on their unborn children. I do wish to talk about how this act offends me, in light of this you may become offended, but please know my aim is to love you even if i hate what you have done.
First. Having your own child makes you see abortion in a totally new light. Conceiving, carrying, delivering, caring, loving and raising your very own flesh and blood makes it harder and harder to see abortion as anything less than murder. Especially since there are tens and thousands of couples who would love to conceive and cannot, but are willing, more than willing to raise these children up. Not to mention the other tens of thousands of people who can have children, but would take yours and raise it as their own to prevent this death.
Sadly, their not heard. There are still silent cries for help that are unanswered each year and just so the mother or father can be comfortable with an unwanted, unplanned, unexpected miracle of life. Who could take comfort in the death of an innocent life. Who can take comfort in knowing that they will stand before a holy God who created this life, with a purpose in mind and say why they selfishly valued their own life, time and freedom enough to commit this act of indecency. Without repentance they will spend eternity without such comforts.
Is it really worth it?
Is it really worth the pain of knowing each day you will regret this decision. Or if you don't regret it, wonder why your heart doesn't feel anymore when obviously the world screams about this issue and you cannot.
My heart aches for the unborn. My heart aches because I have seen a child born. I have held a baby who took its first breaths. Who cried its first tears. Who held its mothers hand for the first time knowing full and well that it was safe. I have looked into my babies eyes and seen her gaze relieved as she hears and recognizes my voice. A voice she heard in my womb. My heart aches for the babies who hear their mothers voice end their life. My heart aches...
My heart aches even more for the women who have carried these babies. I ache for the situation that made them make this decision. I ache for their despair. For their obvious misdirection and confusion. I ache for the guilt and remorse this undoubtedly will bring into their lives. Into lives they hoped would not be interrupted by the inconvenience of a baby but would now give anything to have that compared to the inconvenient weight of regret.
Surely this shames God. The author of humanities existence. Surely God's heart ached as he watched Adam and Eve sin in the garden. Surely his heart ached as he knew this decision would lead to the destruction of human lives in the future. Surely His heart aches as He sees that it takes such depravity to bring us to our knees to acknowledge a holy God. He would have had it an easier way, but we wanted our convenience.
I have not had an abortion, but I have sinned against my God in other obscene and horrific ways. And just like the repentant woman who does have an abortion, my God was just and faithful to forgive when I came to him and confessed my need for his atonement to cover my shame, my regret, my convenience.
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9
No comments:
Post a Comment