Oh my goodness. Did i get the best call of my life today. This is so silly to be blogging about, but this is what my blog is for...the random things that happen in my life! Enjoy. :)
Ok, so back to the story. First we need a little back story so you know why i was excited to get the phone call today. I am 29 weeks pregnant. Most women would agree that this is the peek of their cravings and appetite changes. Which I have fully felt the urge to "scratch" that "itch". If you know anything about me you know that normally I am a self proclaimed Carb-Queen!! I would rather not have dessert, but extra bread! My ideal snack is chips and pretzels. However, since i have been pregnant (and especially in my second and third trimester) I have craved more sweets. I literally drove well over the speed limit, one evening to rush back to the chocolate pudding waiting for me in my fridge!! Bryan couldn't believe my state of intense desire as i devoured the cool, sweet chocolaty goodness that is J-E-L-L-O! Anyways....(now that i want pudding again) I digress.
Having allowed myself to eat these things, in moderation and in combination with the "strict carb regimen" the Carb Queen already had herself on I should have been more nervous when I took my FIRST glucose test three weeks ago. (Yes i said first). But I went in blind and was completely taken aback when i was told I FAILED my test!!! Especially since my Doc's have raved about how great I looked, my weight gain is perfect, my blood pressure is text-book and iron levels great! Of course i was SHOCKED to hear I not only did not pass it, but was about 50 points off the norm!
You can imagine how big of a wake up call this was! From this point on I vowed to eat right! The way the books say to. Whole grains, natural sugars, lots of veggies and lean meats! That means the Carb-Queen was de-throned and exiled!! Yes, it was hard...but i had visions of my little girl being 15 lbs on her way out of my belly...being pulled by the jaws of life! Needless to say, I changed my diet. So much so that i lost 5 lbs! Which is a lot when your pregnant. The great thing about this whole thing was that my heartburn started to lessen, if not completely go away on some days! Its been great.
So yesterday....was the dreaded THREE (which was really FOUR) HOUR glucose test...for us "fatties" who fail the first one :). If you hear anything from my post hear this: YOU WANT TO PASS the FIRST TIME! The second test is starts with fasting for 8 hours. Getting up and drinking an even more SUGAR filled drink than the first test and getting pricked by needles for four hours! Thank goodness I was not alone and made a friend while we sipped our orangey-sugary-nastiness and visited the "vampires" (as my Doc calls them). She was super nice and this was her second baby. During her first pregnancy she had to do both tests too. So she knew what to expect and completely calmed me down. I am so thankful for her being there!
Today I got the call!! "Hi Danielle, this is Kathy from ______ and we've got the results of your glucose test." Oh crap I am thinking, I hope I passed, I hope I passed, Dear GOD LET ME PASS!!!! ........"You PASSED! and with FLYING COLORS! No where near borderline! All your numbers are GREAT!"
Relieved doesn't begin to paint the picture! So resisting my favorite carbs and new favorite puddings paid off. I will continue to substitute my beloved breads with whole grains and desserts with SUGAR FREE ones (and a few bad ones), just to ensure my baby girl is healthy. It was a wake up call, but a great call all at the same time! Totally worth it!
No comments:
Post a Comment