"Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, 'Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?' Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, 'Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?' No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it."
Deuteronomy 30:11-14
"This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice and hold fast to him."
Deuteronomy 30:19-20a.
This passage was written by Moses right before he died and handed the Israelites over to Joshua to bring them into the promise land. How frustrating must this have been for Moses. He was chosen by God to deliver a people to redemption who repeatedly doubted him. He heard specifically from God, spoke directly to him and was given special powers and wonders to help the Israelites see the power and promise of God. So right before Moses dies, after having God tell him he would not see the promise land himself, he still chooses to share the Gospel.
I think I would have the opposite reaction. I'd be super upset that I had followed God's commands and done everything he had asked and despite my best efforts these people continued to choose sin over belief; death over life. Why must I be judged and punished for the sins of my people?? Isnt this the same for Christ? Why must He be judged, condemned for the sins of His people?
Now, granted Moses was no Christ. He sinned and fell short, just like the rest of us, but all in the same, he was chosen by God to deliver a people from "death to life". Of course this story had to take place for us to see just how badly depraved we are. How much we need Christ, because even with blatant signs, wonders and rescues we still do not believe. That is a huge take away from this text, but not the main point I am focused on today.
I am focused on Moses' refusal to give up hope. To continually share the Gospel to his brothers and sisters, even after he was told and saw their rebellion and utter state of hopelessness. Why can't i have this same reaction? Why can't I face defeat and closed doors as yet another opportunity to share the Good News? Why can't I offer life or death? Because after all, it is coming and they must choose before its chosen for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment