JUST SAY NO TO NUTS!!
Yes, yes. After a long anticipated visit to the allergist (thank you for all of you who prayed with us for Mady) we found out she is allergic to Peanuts, which is not that uncommon for babies. Actually you really shouldn't even introduce peanuts to babies and toddlers until they are 3 years old!! I did not know this.
Some things I learned:
Kids aren't allergic to things until they are exposed to them.
Therefore, if you are pregnant or nursing you should avoid some MAJOR allergens; i.e. peanuts and shellfish.
After learning about Mady's nut allergy I wasn't surprised because....
All throughout my pregnancy I ate something with nuts almost everyday!! SOO much exposure! I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich almost everyday because you cannot eat deli meat unless its heated to a steaming temperature. I did not have time to do this on the sales floor of sunglass hut! So panera's pb & j it was for me, for months!!
I also ate all kinds of nuts to keep my cravings at bay while i was working. I thought they were a good source of nutrition and healthy fats. They also kept me full! So there is another exposure to nuts.
The third major exposures was when Bryan and I would go to the movies (which was almost every weekend date night). We are huge movie people. We knew we wouldn't get much of a chance to go once Mady came so we went a lot! I am a big fan of the popcorn and of course when your pregnant you also crave chocolate. So with my much loved popcorn I would also indulge in either Goobers (chocolate covered PEANUTS!) If not Goobers it was Peanut M&Ms. Yep.....SO MUCH EXPOSURE!!!
I know what you're probably thinking: That is RIDICULOUS Danielle!!!! You are waayy over reacting. You cannot possibly cause a food allergy by exposure....WELL Mady is proof that you can! I used to say those things to my sister in law, who does have a kiddo with food allergies and was avoiding all nuts during her second pregnancy. I thought it was crazy, but now I know it was smart!
So warning to pregnant or nursing moms: TRY TO LIMIT, IF NOT ELIMINATE NUTS from your DIET. There are tons of good alternatives. If you LOVE Pb&j, you can try "Sunbutter" its made with sunflower seeds. The "Creamy" version taste just like Peanut Butter. That is what I have been eating, its good...especially with Oatmeal in the mornings.
Ok, for the Milk and Dairy part....we already knew she was intolerant to this. From birth she had tummy gas and reflux...which went away once I eliminated this from my diet. Bryan also had an intolerance to this as a baby. This is harder to avoid than the peanut stuff. But good substitutes like: Rice Milk and Soy based (if you do not have a soy allergy) products are great.
I am THANKFUL for answers! I am thankful for Mady's health and thankful that she is happy!! I am also thankful for your prayers! We had great results!!
***Also, important note: Just bc Mady is allergic to nuts now, doesn't mean she will be forever. Actually, most likely she wont even test positive again for it by the time shes two or three. My pediatrician said maybe even the age of one, but still doesn't want any child consuming them until the age of three. There is HOPE for Pb&J and Peanut M&Ms in our future!!***
While we were in Bowling Green at the allergist we got to visit with our family!!!
Mady and Luke, 11 Weeks apart.
Me and my favorite sister in law and our kiddos...
Favorite sis-in-law--- it helps that I'm your only ! ha!
ReplyDeleteOne day I'll have to compete with THREE of them...hope I'm still your fav then! :)
You will always be my favorite!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI heart you a whole bunch....your the sister i was meant to have!
Hi Danielle! just FYI...soy milk is full of phyto-estrogens which throw off your estrogens... and it messes with your thyroid...so going w rice or almond milk over soy is waaay better. Soy is a big allergen, anyway. And, don't beat yourself up too much; you have NO way of knowing whether your exposure to nuts during pregnancy made Mady allergic right now. I ate a lot of nuts in pregnancy, too, and Eowyn isn't allergic to nuts...it has a lot to do with each baby's body. Of course moderation in everything is good anyway!! :)
ReplyDelete