Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1h2aDxUXd

June 23, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Leaving a Legacy



When I became a Christian I yearned so deeply that my mother would become a believer. I wanted so badly for the one person on this earth, that knew me the best to share in the amazing splendor of Salvation and new life in Christ. I wanted someone to pray with, share stories, convictions, confess sin to, glean advice from, cry with and journey in sanctification together. I knew no other Christian adults that were close to me, at the time. The only Christians I had were my friends from UK, which made for lonely breaks away from school. I missed the sweet fellowship and love from my real family; The Body of Christ. I desperately wanted to include my earthly family in this new body.

I am still praying for the conversion of my mom.

Now that I am a mom. I am also praying for my daughter's conversion. I pray earnestly that the Lord would reveal, through the holy spirit her sinful state and allow her to seek grace and redemption in Christ. I know this will be a process and take much time and prayer; especially as we add more children to the mix! One way I have begun to do this is read scripture aloud to her. I also have gotten into the habit of praying scripture and psalms in her presence. But one way I am especially thankful for is: leaving her a Legacy of Truth.

Madelyn's Truth Legacy is found in the pages and margins of this Holy Book; which is Truth. Bryan purchased this Bible for me when Mady was about a week old. I was finding it difficult to hold and read my Bible with one hand, while nursing and rocking Mady as a newborn. So he bought me this smaller cute, pink bible. Something about a new bible that just makes me want to read it!! Like I am reading the words anew!

One day I had an idea. I would dedicate this bible to Mady. Only giving it to her after she trusted Christ as Lord of her life. (If He calls her to a saving knowledge of Him, which we are praying He does). Once she becomes a believer and I see fruit in her life, she will receive this bible. It will be full of notes and reflections from me. I plan to use it up until the day she makes that decision. I want her to see this Word as Life. Words to live by and receive sustenance for our souls. I want her to read my margin notes as further understanding and reflection from her mother, who has cared for her since day one; but see a larger connection. I may have cared for her, but Christ is the ultimate care taker. I have loved her, but the only way I knew how to love her is because I know Christ, who is Love. He taught me through His Word.



I am thankful to sit in Church, in the present with Mady upon my lap as she chews on the edges of this cute, pink bible and laugh at how currently, in the book of Daniel (which is what our church's sermon series is on) the pages are extra crinkly, because of her wet 'baby kisses'. I cannot help but wonder about the day she reads the book of Daniel and her hands hold the crinkled edges of each page in a quiet understanding that she was there once before.

This legacy will be hers. Her's to learn from, read stories, pray with, glean advice from, confess sin, cry over, and ultimately journey in sanctification with. One day I will be gone and unable to join in these joys with her, but The Word of God has stood the test of time and will continue to be the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. She will be left with a Legacy of Truth far better than anything I could have written for her and for which, I am thankful!

1 comment:

Site Meter