Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1h2aDxUXd

October 2, 2010

Hypocrite.

Ok, ok. I must admit, I am going to sound a little bit like a Hypocrite. (and no, I didn't mean for that to rhyme).

But.

I am thinking about homeschooling. Yes, I know. You have heard me in the past talking about how awkward the home school kids tend to be. How weird it is to shelter your kids from the public. How as Christians we should be a witness in all enviornments, including schools. Or, my favorite....I don't want my kids to be weirdos and unable to be social. Ohhhhh, how the times have changed. What a hypocrite I am.

Oh well. Thank you Jesus for the grace.

Please don't judge and leave me hate comments. I know several of the people that follow my blog are teachers....and I love you guys. I wish my kids could be in your classes every year, but that is just not possible.

So here are my thoughts:

I was recently talking to a teacher and a couple girlfriends who mentioned some rather shocking things that I will share, but first let me explain my feelings. After I had Mady my whole view on who takes care of my kids and what I let them be around or witness became very guarded. I guess the Mother Hen in me came out full fledged when I gave birth!! I don't want the main influence in their lives (for 6+ hours a day) to be a negative and worldly one. I mean that in multiple ways (fellow students and teachers). Not every teacher can be as great as some of my friends.

Some of the things I heard from a teacher and a couple girlfriends about schools was alarming. The teacher told me that they have become glorified social workers. How sad. Wheres the joy? I've also heard that in the 6+ hours our kids are in school they are really only learning for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs...if their lucky. There is disruption of all kinds from misbehaving kids to transitions upon transition. So if its only 2 hrs. of actual learning, why can't I do that at home.

Here's where I have issues. First and for most. I do not think that I am smart enough to educate my child alone. Therefore, the curriculum has to be fantastic with very easy, clear-cut and step by step directions. I literally cannot remember how to subtract, multiply and divide on paper. So sad, but true. I can however remember how to do most simple algebraic equations on paper. Probably because that was learned most recently. Having said that, I have heard that husbands take on a subject and teach the kids as well. I like this idea. I also love the amazing resources for homeschooling curriculum. There is so much out there for help.

Another hold back for me was my experience in school (as a little kid). I loved Elementary School. I loved new school supplies, new teachers, new friends, the butterflies...the WHOLE thing! I want Mady to experience this. Which is why I am excited about schools like Dorothy Sayers. Its a classical curriculum, Christian based and parent assisted school where the kids are home schooled half the week and they go to school the other half. I like this because I have heard the Classical style in teaching is more successful than compared to other methods. I also like the idea that my kids would be able to attend a school, have a classroom, teacher, friends, recess etc.

There is so much to be said about what kids learn in school, besides curriculum. Everything from problem solving, how to make friends, sticking up for yourself, relational communication, group cohesion etc. and etc. and etc.....the list goes on and on. So many great things to be had and experienced inside schools. I believe it is a good thing for my kids to be away for just me and Bryan for a time. To be independent and make good decisions and even some bad ones. Lesson to be learned every where. All of that is super important and what I want for my kids. However, I don't want to fight of having to un-do all the worldly wisdom (besides the biggy's of evolution and such) that has been ingrained all day long.

Please hear me. I think it is VERY IMPORTANT to teach both sides of major topics such as "Evolution vs. Creationism". They need to know and understand both sides, so that they can give a clear and concise answer for why they believe what they believe. That is biblical. I know that most people would then say: "Well why not just send them to a Christian School." In my limited experience, most Christian Schools are Christian in name only. Very loose theology. Besides, I believe that its the parents and churches job to educate my kids on religion. Not that I am opposed to religion courses, I'm not...I just think it needs to come from home. I DO NOT wish to shelter my kids. I want them to be well rounded individuals. I just desire to give them the very best education and start that I can. I feel like I owe that to them. Lets face it. Home schooled kids are leaps and bounds ahead of most of their peers. No, I am not considering this so that my kids can be the BEST. I am considering this so that I can glorify God in the raising of my children.

I am considering it. Not completely sold on it, but I am definitely wearing the big scarlet "H" for Hypocrite in comparison to my former opinion concerning this subject.

1 comment:

  1. I love your honesty girl! It is amazing how different my opinions on different things have changed from the days of thinking about parenting to actually being a parent! I'm right there with you CONSIDERING IT too! And yes, I Thank God for His grace daily, as I too am swallowing many of my own words much too often!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter