"So what in the world have we been up to?"
Good question....
Lots.
I realized I have done a very poor job at updating the blog about Bryan and I's life lately. After all, this blog book is going to be a family scrap-book. However, lately it feels more like a Mady scrap-book. I'm confident that the more children we add to our family it will become a blog devoted to them (somewhere in the middle I will
Bryan is officially a semester away from graduating with his Masters of Divinity from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. I couldn't be more proud of him. He has done so well. For more than half of his journey, he has been working full time, allowing me to stay at home with Mady. You can imagine how hard his schedule has been. Waking up at 4 am. to either open his Starbucks (yep, still working there) or to study. There have been a few days I have only felt him on the other side of the bed. He is diligent. I have never seen someone prioritize their studies so well and maintain such great grades. I am just too proud of him. It really is the Lord's kindness in showing us great mercy in allowing him to persevere during these long days of little sleep, much work and lots of reading/ studying/ writing/ grading. Yes grading.
That last part may have thrown you for a loop. As if Bryan didn't have enough going on in his life, he has also added "Garrett Fellow" / Grader to his list. I am joking. To his JOY he is a Grader (or as we knew them at UK "Teacher's Assistants"). He is doing this for one of his favorite professors here at Southern, Dr. Ted Cabal. It really is an honor that he was chosen to do this job. Bryan has immensely enjoyed working with Dr. Cabal, serving him and his students and also teaching a few classes. Its been an incredible opportunity and a great gateway for him into what it looks like to be a Professor.
Yes Professor. Bryan has the gift of teaching. We have known that for some time. The Lord continues to put Bryan in situations where this gift is really used for God's glory, but also serving to re-affirm to Bryan that he should invest in this gift for his future. While the local Church in pastoral ministry is where Bryan's heart lies, he cannot help but be obedient and walk where the Lord has opened doors of opportunity during this season of life. I am thankful to have such a smart and gifted husband; I must say, I am truly his toughest student :)
So where does he go from here?
Ph. D.
Yep. We feel that the Lord is opening less doors for immediate local church ministry and more in the realm of more schooling for B. He is excited an the opportunity to apply for many different Ph. D programs around the world, but rather shy about his chances of acceptance. It is a very competitive theological/ philosophical/ evangelical world out there, regarding Ph. Ds. Unfortunately, they don't come easy, but fortunately for us, Bryan is the hardest working student I have ever seen. Through the Lords help, and if he gets into a program, he will do very well. We are pretty confident (about 93.5%) sure this is what the Lord will have for us for the next 4 years. We truly covet your prayers as Bryan begins the process to apply to programs and schools.
Let me say. That 4 years sounded like a long time 3 years ago....but let me tell you...its a blink of an eye.
Especially when you throw kids in the mix....
Yes, I said kid(s). Plural. More than one. Multiple. Several. Many. Clan. Brood. Cluster. Small Basketball Team. Haha.....but seriously.
yes. more. coming soon.
prayerfully.
I know I shared a bit several weeks ago about our Adoption Journey. If there is one thing we are sure of in our life it is how the Lord answers prayer in our lives. No gray areas. Total black and white. We are thankful for his continued hand of provision for us, but this year just isn't the year for us to adopt.
We don't know when we will. Hopefully sooner than later. That is our plan. But for now we are trusting the Lord and walking in faith, that the seed that he sewed regarding adoption will come to fruition in His perfect timing. Oh boy is it growing!
Ok, so I have grown to hate talking about myself. I used to love this, back in my carnal days...but honestly I am a little off the hook, because not too much is going on. Physically my days are spent caring for Mady, Bryan, Calvin and our home (no particular order there). I still work two nights a week at Lenscrafters, which I love. I work with great people who are passionate about what they do. It is an honor to be an optical apprentice under these amazing people. I am so blessed to go to work and actually enjoy it.
More than anything, I feel (and am incredibly) thankful for an intense time of spiritual growth in my life. For the first 3 years of my journey as a Christian I believe God graciously allowed me to be in a season of rich spiritual growth and fellowship. Soon after this time, and probably lasting for about 3 more years I struggled in a time of feeling very "distant" from the Lord. I know that He never physically left me, but the sweetness of close fellowship with the Lord (immense highs and sanctifying lows) were a thing of the past. I was now walking in a "wilderness" time. Kind of like when you have a baby. You cuddle it and hold it, rock it, keep it close and just baby it for some time. There then comes a point where you need to let that baby grow into an adult. I was making that transition.
During this period of time I learned a great deal. I was a newly wed and was beginning to see what it looked like to be a wife and in the work force, full time. Combine personal anxiety issues and deep marital struggle resulted in a faith that no longer was "feelings" or "emotions" driven. I learned that the only thing on this earth that does not change is God. His Word and His Promises. As believers, we must, we have to, for our sake and His glory hold tight to this truth.
Fast forward through those 3 years and we started seminary and moved to Louisville. The clouds had lifted. So to speak. There would be more storms, but because of this time in the "wilderness" I learned what it meant to "hold fast".
All that to say. I am enjoying a great time of authentic fellowship and an extreme hunger for God's Word and the Gospel. It has been another 3 years since that dark season. So a total of 9 years as a believer and I am thankful for His grip on my life every step of the way. Recently I have read a book called Radical, which has challenged my life like no other book besides the Bible. It takes the American Dream and everything this world says to run after, work hard for and strive towards and flips it on its head to show it what its really worth. Nothing. Like I said, the only thing that matters is God, His Word and His promises. So, daily I am striving not for my own ends, but for His. Taking serious His commands in taking the Gospels to the ends of the earth and opening my hands and heart to the idea of how radically this will change my life. Whether that is down the street or to the streets of Greece, where my sister in law just went on a Missions Trip. But going and being willing to be used for His glory. Jesus' life was spent to save our lives, can't we be spent to share of this gift of grace in Christ to keep a few from hell? When you look at it that way its a no brainer.
So, here I am. With an open and willing heart, standing in this place with my family and husband clinging to the only thing that matters, Christ. What joy lies ahead. We know this to be true. For the first time I am content....and happy to see that change. Praise the Lord. He is a loving Father and He does not with hold good gifts to His children. I am bursting at the seams with the goodness of these gifts.
No comments:
Post a Comment