I have been recently going through some hard doubt and confusion. I have been clinging to the gospel and trying to repeat it to myself. I have also been clinging to certain scriptures to remind me of God's goodness and unchanging stability. I have been doing these things.
One friend suggested a Blessings List. A list of all of the things I was thankful for. Something that I used to be in the habit of doing, but hadn't not done so in years. This is different than sitting around in a coffee shop somewhere talking about some event and using the words "I am so thankful for ___." or "We were thankful when ____ happened." Its also more than ranting off your prayer request at small group while throwing in some blessings or answered prayer.
Its about actually writing down the things that the Lord has done, for our good and His glory. Writing them down, thanking the Lord and praising Him for His kindness in allowing you such blessings.
There are so many things in life that we spend hours talking about that we are NOT thankful for. Things we are mad about or frustrated with. When things don't go our way we often obsess about the event and replay it in our mind, over and over with no benefit to ourselves; it only makes us feel worse. We mull over circumstances and problems and plot and pray for change. This is all legitimate, don't get me wrong....but what if we flipped things around. What if we spent all of that time being thankful instead and spend the time we used to allow for thankfulness (a short conversation, a quick comment, a fleeting thought) being concerned, worried, anxious, fearful, doubting, etc. Allow what you used to let consume and control your thought life be filled with thanksgiving. Imagine just how much time that would be? I know if I replaced all the time I spent worrying with being thankful....it would be amazing!
I want to honor God with everything. Thoughts, blogs and all. So I am dedicating my Thursday posts to be Thankful Thursdays. Where I will effectively list out all the ways the Lord has been gracious and kind. Areas where I have received blessings. When I am tempted to slump into a cycle of self pity and doubt; I want to take my blessing account and praise Him for how He answers prayers, provides and sustains me.
Now I cannot promise it will be every Thursday....I'm not going to get legalistic about this...but I do think it is important that God gets the glory for how He continues to richly bless my life.
I encourage you to do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment