Tried some new things lately.
Sea Scallops. Yeah, they are so easy and I LOVE seafood...not sure why I haven't done this before now!!?
Below is one of "tried and true" favorites. Squash, zuccini, tomatoes (add whatever protein you have, in this case we did chicken) with white wine, Parmesan reduction. Of course garlic, salt and pepper added too.
Got a little gutsy and tried to make our FAVORITE dish from a local Cuban restaurant we love, Havana Rumba. Because the budget is tight, we don't always get to eat at such fun places. So I tried to bring the "fun" and great food to US!
Step One: Slow cooked the Beef Roast for 8 hrs. (on low) with Olive oil, salt/ pepper, garlic, lime juice and rainbow medley of peppers and onions.
***One thing I'd do differently here is cook the peppers separately and closer to serving time. Mainly because they cooked so down that they were virtually non existent in the dish. So either pan sear in olive oil, lime juice and spices....or add them half way through the cooking of the roast in the slow cooker.***
Step 2: Shredded the beef with a fork and pan seared with meat, peppers and onions in more olive oil and lime juice until ends were a bit crispy.
The KEY here is to use A LOT of OLIVE OIL if you want it to taste like Havana Rumba's. If you want a healthier version use less. Sorry I offer no measurement suggestions. I don't usually measure stuff when I cook. I add to taste.
Step 3: To finish , on the side I made some white rice and black beans (just like Havana Rumba).
The only thing missing is the Plantains. I looked at 2 different locations for them and had no luck. Must be out of season.
I give it a B score.
Flavor was good...but it wasn't Havana Rumba's Vaca Frita. Bryan LOVED it and said it tasted just like it. So there you go, I must be a harder critic.
Try it and let me know how yours goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment