Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1h2aDxUXd

February 10, 2012

Gotcha Day Celebration // Adoption

Briefly, this time last year we were entertaining the idea of doing an International Adoption from the DRC. At the time, we began to gather all the necessary paperwork...dotting every 'i' and crossing every 't', until we officially heard whether we would "qualify" to be able to adopt in 2011 based on US requirements.

We may have been waiting on the a person to tell us we could or could not adopt, but really we were waiting for the Lord to open or close doors. We were walking in obedience to care for the orphan in the way our hearts felt lead to. We are still waiting, prayerfully for Him to open that door. Until then we care for the orphan in different ways.

We love adoption. Its not for everyone, but it is definitely for us. 
Caring for the orphan (James 1:27) doesn't just have to involve an adoption. There are countless ministries/ non for profits that you can get involved with and "care" physically with your time, money, prayers....what have you. There will always be a need until the Lord comes back to care for and uphold the rights of the poor and distressed. 

You may be surprised to know that both Bryan and I have desired to adopt children even before we began dating. Way back in 2004, we discussed our desires to expand our future families in this way as we began dating. "A desire to adopt" became non-negotiable standard for our future mates...thank goodness we found each other :).

So here is the "root" or rather "seed" that started to grow my heart for adoption.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Back in 2003 I began nannying for a family here from Louisville that lived in the community my parents lived in. The mother of this family is a strong, faithful Christian, who quickly began a mentoring relationship with me. She is the older wiser, sister I never had...although, I technically could be her daughter....but she is just too "cool" for me to consider her my mother. But boy does she love, encourage and pray for me the way I would desire a Believing mother would their daughter!!!

She is incredible and I really do not have adequate space or time to explain just how beautifully the Lord has knit our friendship over the years. She is a great example of a Proverbs 31 women and I strive to glean from her wisdom (which is rooted in Christ) daily.

Her example in caring for her family (4 boys, 2 girls) and radically being obedient to God's calling on her life was one of the first times I had seen this type of "living" in a women of her age. The Christians around me at the time (2002+) were either college students, young professionals and a few young marrieds with little kids. I really ATE up her wisdom.

Sofia, her oldest daughter was one of the flower girls in my wedding. Sofia and Mia (her youngest) are so very special to me. I loved babysitting them and now they love watching Mady for me! They also happen to be adopted from Guatemala. They are beautiful young women who love the Lord. They are discipled and lead daily to Christ who PERFECTLY placed them in forever families to grow and glorify the Lord!! I just love it.

These pictures are from Sofia's Gotcha Day Celebration. 
On February 7th, 2001 Sofia became a member of this family physically, but the Lord had a perfect plan for her from even before the creation of the world that this would be her family and a catalyst for her to join her family in Christ, as a Christian. Praise the Lord!








The amount of love that was in this room that day was incredible.
So eager to celebrate one of God's greatest gifts to all of us, Sofia.
She has blessed each of our lives in different and unique ways....it was so fun to be apart of this day.


Sofia's little sister wrote this to her. Love #4!! Oh, I just love them. 
Friends gathered to celebrate and enjoy "Moes"!

Sofia and Mady
This party was a surprise party and when Sofia walked in she was so honored....but I am not sure if she was most excited about the party or that Mady was there too. She just loves my daughter so well. I am so lucky! Such a great example Mady can learn from. I can only pray and hope Sofie can lead and love Mady like her Mom has done for me over the years.

"Eatin' melons with the Big Girls!" ~Mady


Mady's first time on a trampoline! So fun!

This day was wonderful!
I was blessed having been apart of it and knowing this beautiful girl. 


16 The LORD is king forever and ever; 

   the nations perish from his land. 
17 O LORD, you hear the desire of the afflicted; 
   you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear 
18 to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, 
   so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more.
Psalm 10:16-18


No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter