So here goes lately:
When I read to Mady and we are done with one book and about too move on to another I always ask her what books she wants to read next with a couple of choices.
I may say something like: "Okay Mady, we just read your Penguin book, what book would you like to read next?"
Then I offer a few suggestions she can choose from. I usually say: "How about...." (while dragging out the how about part, kind of in the 'I am trying to decide' tone)
"How about....'Night, Night Moon book', or 'I Love you Mommy' book?"
So now, when we sit down to read books or do anything, Mady will offer her choices. Only she says:
"About...." instead of "How about...". Her "About" sounds just like the tone and pitch (and even dragging it out) of my "How about..". Hilarious. Definitely one you have to be there for, but totally worth documenting for my own personal amusement.
Its so cute because she will say: "About we go walkin'", then she walks to the door and says: "Okay!!!" Answers her own questions these days. Or, another example: "About....watch eey show gether??" Translation: "How about we watch a show together?"
She loves to pick and choose our activities and I love how she phrases things just like I phrase them to her. So sweet.
Did I mention that I am no longer "Mommy" or "Momma", but rather "Mom". Bryan is also "Dad" instead of "Daddy" or our favorite, "Dadda". We also used to have a brand name, "Momma-dadda". Haven't heard that since about 18 months. So crazy how quickly their language develops at these ages.
__________________________________________________________________________________
When we read a book about all different dog breeds I try to teach her the differences between each breed. When we get to the "Boxer", which is what our precious Calvin is she usually says: "Bucky- Yamb-Chop", which is what we call him sometimes. Except her word "Yamb, is actually "Lamb". Don't ask why we call him that, but we do.
Anyways...
Now when we get to the Boxers she tries to say that they are "Boxers" and it comes out "Boxs-kers".
__________________________________________________________________________________
So I used to have pre-warn Mady when we'd go places that people would probably come up to her and say how pretty she was, or how cute her hair was...but mainly it was warning her for the "WOW, I cannot believe she has glasses and so young!". And, these well meaning people were usually right in her face about it. So....it took some prepping before Mady was okay with this invasive-ness! Can you blame her? So, I'd warn her before grocery store trips and other outings that it was okay if someone came up to her when Mommy was there to compliment her or ask about her glasses. Just be kind and say "Thank you." Usually, even if they'd ask about her glasses they'd always compliment her in some way. People are just curious. I get it. It was sweet of them to sugar cote their curiosity with a kind remark about Mady. I appreciated it....because the questions do/did get old, and it kind of freaked Mady out when people would do this. So pre-warning was necessary for sometime, now she is used to it and generally pretty kind to people.
Okay, all that to say.....
I also "pre-warn", or rather teach Mady how to interact with others when they ask her things. I'm sure I am not the only Mom doing this. How else do they learn social graces?
For instance... (and this is where the "say what!" part comes in) when we are at the play ground by our house, I generally try to meet the moms and interact with the kids too. Its really something we try to be consistent about to reach our neighbors and our community.
So I used to tell Mady, when she really started becoming verbal: "If someone asks you your name, you say 'My name is Mady' ".
Of course usually its the parents asking the names to each other's kid and my child usually answers their question of : "What's your name?" with : "Names Manny" translation: "My name's Mady". ...which if you say that back to yourself (forgetting her pronunciation flub) she really should have just said in response to their question only her name....but, how funny that she follows her Momma's instruction to a T and tries to say: "My name's Mady.", instead of just answering with "Mady". I love it.
__________________________________________________________________________________
There are million more stories like this, I am sure I am forgetting. I love celebrating each stage and change in their little personalities. It goes so fast. I remember my nephew going through all of this and thinking it would be forever before Mady did/ said these sort of things....but here we are! Crazy!
God is good to bless us with this little girl to love and laugh with.
No comments:
Post a Comment